Sunday, October 21, 2007

Inner Parts for Bio Filter


Spent a good 2 hours at the hardware store going through their plumbing and irrigation sections. Whilst I had the concept in my head at the end of the day you have to work with what you have at hand. Eventually I got all the parts I needed to make up the inner core for the mechanical filter as well as the water entry port and the drain port. The lateral was the hardest as I wanted something to fit through 1" thick base and have something at the end that can be blocked and opened easily. I used a 40mm shower drain, that's the one that had most thread on it. I used a blanking cap which will be glued to a threaded section and in turn thread on to the pipe coming from the drain. The idea is to leave the pump running and opening the drain plug and as the water is diverted out any sediment goes out as well.